Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Mustache Diaries IV

It's Tuesday again, which of course means its again time for the weekly update of the growth on my upper lip.  I am proud to say that this past weekend I was drinking a beverage and some of my mustache became moist because its getting so long. 
I do feel though, that with the honor and privilege of writing a blog comes the responsibility to report 100 % honestly in all that I write about.  That being said, allow me to divulge some rather desperate thoughts I've been having lately regarding my 'stache.  I'm pretty bummed about the inconsistencies in the color and overall appearance of my whiskers.  I'd say only about 65% of the hairs in my goatee are brown, while the other 35% is a color that can only be desribed as 'peach fuzz blonde' (I don't think you'll be finding that color in a box of 64 Crayola crayons with a sharpener on back).  In fact, at a meeting last week in Madison for Wisconsin camp directors, a gal referenced me to Jeff as "the tall guy with peach fuzz".
Truth be told, I've been tossing around the idea of using 'Just For Men Hair Color for Mustaches and Beards' to help give me a more full and vibrant look. I was at Wal-Mart last Friday to pick up a few things (I decided to make the switch from Starbucks coffee to Dunkin' Donuts coffee based on some recent ads I have seen on television touting the superior taste and overall customer approval of Dunkin's coffee compared to Starbucks, plus it's $1 less - I'll let ya know my thoughts in a future post). Curiosity got the best of me, so I ventured over to the old people aisle and did some investigating.  Turns out, this Just For Men stuff is pretty hard core. On the side of the box they have a warning: 
"In rare cases, use of hair dye has been associated with skin depigmentation (skin lightening or loss of skin color), which may be temporary or permanent.  If you notice any skin depigmentation or other allergic reaction such as discomfort or severe itching, discontinue use immediately."
It goes on to say:

"Do not use this product at all if you have skin depigmentation problems such as white patches on your skin (a condition called vitiligo) or if you have a family history of skin depigmentation problems, as an allergic reaction may cause temporary or permanent loss of skin pigment."

You're probably wondering how I remembered all this information.  Well, it's because I decided to purchas this product anyways.  Is it worth using this stuff if there is the chance of losing the color of my skin on my upper lip?  Great question.  I haven't decided the answer yet.  It's certainly a gamble, but I'm nothing if I'm not a gamblin' man.  Ask my father.  I lost nearly $23 of his own hard earned money on the craps table at the Ho Chunk Casino.
Anyhow, thanks for checking in for the fourth installment of the Mustache Diaries.  If in fact I decide to do some mustache coloring experimentation, I'll no doubt document it for my loyal viewers.

Be sure to check back later this week for the story and pictures of my latest adventure:  Coon hunting with Jim Riggs...

God Bless, and God speed in all your facial hair endeavors.  

"17?  Nope, I'm actually 25."  - me

No comments: